Used by both professionals and and DIY enthusiasts, Post Mix Concrete is a popular product due to it’s versatility.
In this guide we will look at how to use post mix concrete and the benefits of using it.
We will also answer the most common questions on Post Mix Concrete.
What is Post Mix Concrete?
Post Mix is a readymade concrete consisting of ballast and cement. Not only only is the mix good quality, but it is also fast setting.
Post Mix Concrete can be used with concrete or metal fence posts, setting timber, gate posts, and line posts.
Benefits Of Post Mix
Let’s take a look at the benefits of Post Mix.
- Fast-Setting: Ready-made post mix is a fast setting formula that will set in 5-10 minutes.
- Versatile: Post mix can be used for a number of different DIY tasks.
- Quality: Readymade post mix is made to a high specification which means you you will be receiving a high quality, consistent product.
- More Environmentally Friendly: The amount of waste production and cement is kept to a minimum due to the more efficient way this product is mixed. This makes it better for the environment.
- Easy To Use: Just simply mix the product with water.
- Packaging: Comes in handy 20kg bags.
How To Use Post Mix Concrete
Post mix concrete is extremely easy to use. Here’s some step-by-step instructions for if you were placing a post.
- The first step is to dig the hole to the correct width and depth of the post size that you plan to use.
- Place the post into the hole. Pour water into the hole until it is around half full.
- Pour the post mix into the hole until there is no water visible.
- If you notice any dry powder, add a little more water.
- Use a stick to stir the mixture to release any air bubbles.
- Adjust the post into the correct position, using a spirit level to ensure the post is straight before the post mix begins to set.
- It’s a good idea to wear a face mask and gloves when using post mix to prevent dust irritation.
- To prevent water from collecting at the base of the post, it’s a good idea to ensure that enough concrete is poured so that it rises slightly above ground level.
- Post mix shouldn’t be mixed using your hands or a machine.
Where To Buy Post Mix Concrete
We stock Post Mix Concrete in 20kg handy bag that is suitable for all types of concrete, wooden and metal posts.
Post Mix Concrete Common Questions
How long does Post Mix take to set?
The mixture will first begin to stiffen in as little as 1-2 minutes. You can expect Post Mix to set within 5-10 minutes after adding water to the mix.
Before applying any stress or pressure to the post, it is recommended that you allow at least 4 hours for it to fully set.
To put this into perspective, standard concrete can take anywhere from 24-48 hours before the mixture fully sets.
Is Post Mix Concrete expensive?
Post mix concrete can save costs in a couple of ways:
- No cost of a cement mixer.
- The 20kg handy bags means you can buy as you need which reduces wastage.
How much Post Mix do I need for a fence post?
The amount of post mix needed for a fence post will vary depending upon the depth and width of the hole.
In general, for a standard fence post it is recommended to use 1 1/2 – 2 bags of of Post Mix.
Can I mix Post Mix in a bucket?
Due to the fast-setting process of Post Mix Concrete, you should never mix this product in a bucket. You should mix Post Mix with water directly into the hole that you are working on.
How To Use Post Mix Conclusion
Post Mix is an excellent product that is very versatile and extremely fast setting in comparison with standard concrete.
Post Mix is easy to use. Just ensure you follow the step-by-step instructions on how to use post mix concrete, and you should have no issues at all.